alberto

Minimum and maximum fillet weld thickness.

27 posts in this topic

Hello Gurudev

thanks for looking at my document.

Please tell me what exactly you're trying to achieve.

you say, the k-factor = .58 , using S275.

Could you show me how you got this result?

As for the 4mm starting threshold that is mentioned in EC3-1-8, you're correct.

I'll adjust the tables to comply with EC3-1-3 § 8.5.2.

Thanks for your comments.

Sorry for the delayed response,

As per "4.5.3.3: Simplified method for design resistance of fillet weld" for S275;

Design weld resistance per unit length will be "467.314*a [(430/1.732)*(1/0.85*1.25)*2*a]"

I have taken design value of the weld force per unit length as full strength in tension i.e "275*t"

So in this case k will be 0.588

But I think my approach is wrong as Design weld resistance corresponds to shear strength of the weld,

Design value of force shall also be shear strength of plate : 275*t/1.732

Now in this case k will be 0.48 again.

Which is same as we got according to "4.5.3.2 Directional method".

Gurudev

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By steven706
      Hi All,

Do you have the design example for the Chevron Bracing according to EC3? or any book reference?

• By Ee Hoe
      I am currently doing a beam strengthening by adding a steel plate to the bottom flange of my existing beam. But coming to the reduction of the fy, I realised that I am not very clear about the nominal thickness of the element.
      Is it the thickness of the flange or the web? Or is it the larger between 2?

Hope to hear from you guys. Thanks alot!

• By Hang
      Hello Engineers,  I am a Bachelor degree student in civil engineering. Do you guys have any workout pdf examples of steel beam design according to EC3. I am not familiar with EC3 so it could be nice to see some detail workout example. Thanks
    • By Nick Dunas
      We have finally launched!

After two years of intensive work, we are more than happy to announce the initial release of the beta version of Steel suite.

Steel suite is a cloud-based platform that offers high-end web applications for the design of steel connections according to the Eurocode. The initial version of the platform offers three applications for the design of fin plate simple joints. Additionally, an interactive steel sections library is also available.

The main advantage of Steel suite is that the calculations are implemented on our servers. This feature assures that the engineer can access and use the applications from any device (PCs, laptops, tablets and mobiles) with an internet connection, regardless its computational power. The applications are developed using state of the art technologies, offering interactive 3D and 2D graphics.

Please feel free to create a personal account and test the platform by yourself here:

steel.ecwix.com/register

You can navigate to our multilingual commercial web page here:

www.ecwix.com/en

If you find our project interesting keep in touch with us by following our page on LinkedIn:

Ecwix Engineering @ LinkedIn
    • By Stelios89
      Hello everyone,

I am not familiar with the use of forums so I am not sure how we can help each other but for starters I'd like some assistance with the design of a steel tee beam.

The section is just shy of 0.5m, and on one side it is bearing onto masonry (100mm blockwork) and the other is bolted onto the web of a steel I-beam. It is also loaded on both its sides by approximately 5.5kN/m (total). 

Please, if possible, provide some guidance as to how this section is classified and which parts of the eurocode would allow me to design it. I've already done some parts of it, where I basically assume that the section is in tension but I am not sure if I am missing anything.