Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurudev

Selection of linear seismic analysis method

3 posts in this topic

I was working on seismic design of steel structure.

There are two methods for linear seismic analysis 

1. Lateral force method and

2. Modal response spectrum analysis 

Now my structure is not satisfying all criteria for both methods i.e.,

First mode of vibration criteria is satisfied for 1 st  method while regularity criteria is satisfied for 2 nd  method.

So I am confused which method Shall be used.

Please guide me.

You should do modal response spectrum analysis if your structure is irregular.

Thank you very much for your reply.

My structure has no setbacks, but irregular in the sense of its lateral stiffness and storey weight.

Its lateral stiffness and storey weight is not decreasing from bottom to top of structure.

So still I have to go for modal response spectrum?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By a00lf
      Hello colleague,
      I'm new guy in seismic engineering so I have a question.
      1) After calculating the eigenvalues I get structures frequence, period and base shear. The structure is in low seismic zone ( 0.9 m/s2) but really windy. So do I need to check wind base shear? In one example I find out that they are comparing base shear from wind and seismic base shear and take the most dangerous from them to each floor. That base shear they transmit to each floor but not to the RC shaft (the wind or seismic base shear). After that they are looking for displacement. So that is the correct way to look for displacement from seismic action? Do I need to look from eigenvalues or from base shear? Each eigenvalue gives me a lot bigger displacement compare to results from base shear from seismic and wind base shear maximum value. And how to calculate the max displacement for the structure?
      The structure is 5 story precast concrete building.
    • By iihh
      Hello all,
      I'll start a design of a concrete building according Eurocodes. All foundations will be pad / isolated.
      I have some questions about foundation design.
      1. Have all foundation to be at one level in seismic region?
      2. How much could be the eccentricity relative to the foundation size?
      Thank you in advance
    • By dlnunes
      Hello everyone!
      I have a 5-story reinforced concrete building on which I most design an additional metallic story.
      How can I evaluate correctly but practically (some level of conservatism allowed) the seismic load on my new story without modelling the entire building?
      Thank you
      Daniel
    • By giuliod83
      Good evening colleagues,
      can you tell me when you choose Type I or Type II elastic design spectrum from Eurocode 8?
      I know that the difference between one or the other is the magnitude intensity for the site, but how can I give this value?
      Thank you all,
      Giulio
    • By Sarbjeet
      hello everyone
      I have just joined this forum and I like the way people respond to queries.
      I am working in a project where I have to perform Seismic Analysis of a System. The system consists of a Rack made up of FRP material, used for the purpose of housing electrical modules.The dimensions of rack are 10m x 7m x 3m. I have also attached an image of same in jpg format.

My query is that whether Eurocode 8 can be used to predict the behaviour of system (non-building type and made of FRP) in Seismic event. As per the Eurocode 8 scope, it deals with buildings only (Concrete, Steel and Masonry).
      Regards