Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rasika Indrajith

Strut and tie model for steep strut angles

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

According to most of the STM references, the maximum struct angle is about 60-65 degrees. I encountered a case which an elongated column has to be supported by a 2-pile pile cap. But the struct angle is about 70 degrees when the column load is replaced by two point loads at column edge. To maintain the strut angle to 60 degrees, need to have a shallow pile cap, then the Tie force is very large and cannot accommodate r/f.

Is there anyone can assist please ?

STM.jpg

Posted (edited)

Hallo.

Read some literature on load path method in strut-and-tie design. Also, check information on correct strut-and-tie models for pile caps - you shouldn't assume that the horizontal strut is lying on the interface of the column/pile cap - it should be positioned inside the pile cap.

Cheers

Edited by ReinisGailitis
1 person likes this

@ReinisGailitis: Thank you very much for your point. With that approach, the strut angle can be limited. But it leads to enormous amount of r/f in the tie as the column load is fairly high. By the way, actually what is the risk of exceeding the strut angle?, is the strut will crush/ fail in shear?

What do you mean by r/f? 

I'm not 100% sure about the upper limit on the strut angle (>=65 degree you mentioned), but I suspect it is more on a conservative side so that you wouldn't underestimate tension in the tie. 

Cheers

@ReinisGailitis: " I suspect it is more on a conservative side so that you wouldn't underestimate tension in the tie". Like your point. by the way, i tried to mean reinforcement with r/f. Thank you very much.