Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
be4m.net

Design of steel beams in torsion

2 posts in this topic

Hello,

Is there anybody interested in design of steel beams in torsion?

I hope so, because some time ago, I have developed web application for this purposes and I strongly encourage you to tests!

Web application is available at www.test.be4m.net page. You can use the default credentials, i.e. username: "be4mtest", password: "Haslo1". You can also register yourself and use your own account.

General assumptions:

> Beam has one span (simply supported beam)
> Support condition is the fork support
> Beam load is the concentrated force with eccentrity with respect to the cross section shear centre
> Beam cross section is hot rolled I or H section
> Beam cross section class due to bending is 1

It is also important to know, that this application uses:

> Finite Element Method - for calculating the internal forces (linear static)
> SCI P385 Design of steel beams in torsion - for calculating the influence of torsion (degree of torsion and its derivatives, additional bending moments)
> Eurocode 1993-3-1 - for global stability checks (this module is still in implementation)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

sample.png

Took a brief tour... logging in was a breeze... the calculation page could use a bit of work to make it a little easier/faster to navigate.  The one example, I ran, yielded values that represented numbers from doing an independent calculation.  You should also have a disclaimer to keep silly people from abusing your efforts; you have no control over how the information is being used.  You've put a lot of work into the sheet and it shows. 

Thanks, Dik

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MiguelS
      Hi guys,

I have a bit of an unusual situation. So, in reality I'm designing some stairs in which the flights/landings cantilever off of columns in the central well of the structure.

All sections of the structural members will be hollow section (beams and columns) and the senior engineer doesn't want to use hollo-bolts or anything similar.

His suggestion for the connection is illustrated in the picture attached.

My concern is, this thin plate connection would need to resist bending plus torsion, would it be any effective in doing so? Or am I overthinking it?

If you have any suggestions on how to design the connection and make sure it works as intended that would also be great!

Thanks.

• By Hang
      Hello Engineers,  I am a Bachelor degree student in civil engineering. Do you guys have any workout pdf examples of steel beam design according to EC3. I am not familiar with EC3 so it could be nice to see some detail workout example. Thanks
    • By saruncivil
      Dear Engineers, 

How to calculate expansion joint width between steel structures (Industrial Structures). 
      Thank in advance for your valuable reply. 

Best regards, 
      Arun S
    • By Saikiran Gone
      Dear Engineers,

Kindly suggest me the combination for which deflection check need to done to a steel member for DL + Earthquake load cases.

Regards,
      Saikiran Gone.

• By NguyenHuy
      Regarding the torsion in beam, EN 1992-1-1: 2004 section 6.3.1 (2) stipulates that: "where, in statically indeterminate structures, torsion arises from consideration of compatibility only, and the structure is not dependent on the torsional resistance for its stability, then it will normally be unnecessary to consider torsion at the ultimate limit state... ". Can anyone explain more clearly about this? For normal building, do we need to check torsion for beam?

I calculate torsion force exported from etabs then it requires not only the links but also the longitudinal bar. Sometimes the term of shear and torsion is even the critical check of section dimension. 

Thanks in advance