Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
freebutterflyx

Actions of "large" vehicle on building

6 posts in this topic

Eurocode 1 gives the actions of vehicles in buildings: "table 6.7 - Traffic and parking areas in buildings".

Category G is for "medium" vehicles with a weight between 30kN and 160kN.

As examples are given: "delivery zones, zones accessible to fire engines (<160kN gross vehicle weight)"

 

But what about larger vehicles?

In traffic, the vehicle weight can be more than 160kN. Lets say 3 rear axles of 100kN each.

I suppose a firetruck can be more than 160kN?

 

Lets say you have a large building with a basement and the basement is larger than the building area. 

It is possible a firetruck, a "moving vehicle" (possible with elevator), a delivery truck,... can drive over the basement.

 

What loads should be used in this case? It is still a traffic area and not a bridge.

Should the exact loads being used?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello

 

I think that you should use traffic loads if the loads provided for access ways for buildings are too small for your application.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21-8-2017 at 11:34 PM, ReinisGailitis said:

Hello

 

I think that you should use traffic loads if the loads provided for access ways for buildings are too small for your application.

 

Cheers

 

"Eurocode 1" only handles vehicles up to 160 kN gros weight:   "table 6.7 - Traffic and parking areas in buildings".

This is traffic IN a building.  Sometimes a larger vehicle or a large fire truck can drive ON TOP OF a basement .

 

Using "EN1991-2 - loads on bridges"? It not a bridge but only an access road with slow traffic.

I can't find any other chapters that mention traffic loads.

 

If the maximum legal weight of a vehicle on the road is 3 axles of 100kN, then I could use these exact weights. But I can't find a reference.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get your point. If there is no road over the basement slab you could just assume the loads as you've just described. If there is a road you should probably contact local authorities so that they provide you with loads that should be used for design.

 

Previously I was referring to loads for bridges, as there's additional information regarding load values and their models.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ReinisGailitis said:

I get your point. If there is no road over the basement slab you could just assume the loads as you've just described. If there is a road you should probably contact local authorities so that they provide you with loads that should be used for design.

 

Previously I was referring to loads for bridges, as there's additional information regarding load values and their models.

 

Cheers

 

There is no "public" road over the basement. It is just a private access road to the rear part of the building.

This private road can be used for people moving in or out, for fire turck, maintenance vehicle,...

This access road will only be occasionally used (and hopefully never be used by firetrucks).

 

At first, I thought of using the loads of EN1991-2 bridges but these loads are to big (2 axles of 300kN or 1 axle of 400kN). 

Where as the maximum allowable vehicle weight on the road is 3 axles of 100kN.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25.08.2017 at 2:00 PM, freebutterflyx said:

 

There is no "public" road over the basement. It is just a private access road to the rear part of the building.

This private road can be used for people moving in or out, for fire turck, maintenance vehicle,...

This access road will only be occasionally used (and hopefully never be used by firetrucks).

 

At first, I thought of using the loads of EN1991-2 bridges but these loads are to big (2 axles of 300kN or 1 axle of 400kN). 

Where as the maximum allowable vehicle weight on the road is 3 axles of 100kN.

 

 

You can look in this paper. Page 20-21. Article 11

 

This confused me too. One more confusing thing is that load category F accounts vehicles up to 30 kN, but maximum authorized mass for standard cars (European driving licence category B ) is 3500kg=34.4kN. So, if strictly adhere to Eurocode rules, all parkings necessary to design for load by category G :confused: May be it will be revised in new edition of Eurocode.

Edited by user277418

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.