Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurudev

Design of underslung crane bridge girder

2 posts in this topic

Hello once again.

I am designing a crane bridge girder with capacity 10T, span 12m and running on bottom flange (1st time) according to CMAA74.

It will be box section made from joining plates.

I have made the calculations for the global and local stresses, as well as checked the combinations.

But I have doubt, when shall we use the intermediate stiffeners (diaphragms).

Section 3.5.4.1 tells the requirements when

h/t>240/(tau)^0.5 and buckling stability requirements as per section 3.4.8 are not satisfied.

I am not able to interpret the section 3.4.8; My interpretation for section 3.4.8 is as follows (please correct me)

"If ϑB>DFB, then no stiffeners (diaphragm) are required."

I have tried many combinations with many load cases(with comp and shear stress close to their allowable limits), but never found the requirement for stiffeners according to section 3.4.8.

Please do reply.

Hi

This forum about Eurocodes, so you can look in EN 1993-6 for crane girder design

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By archis
      Hi,
      Can anybody help me with design guide/worked examples for crane supporting structures according to Eurocode?
    • By Samiri
      I got a question? Help please.
      Is it better to use concrete or steel columns for a hall with a crane (20 tons)?
    • By mita4itu
      Hi! I am looking for an example of a supporting construction for a suspended crane in a production hall. I am also wondering is the crane girder a simple beam when it's suspended. I found an example but for a bridge crane. And my second question is how to combine loads produced by machines (dynamic loads) because I didn't find any texts in Eurocodes on how to combine this loads with the static and accidental loads. I am going to use factor 1, but I am not really sure if it is right.
    • By aivars567
      Hi there!
      I have a question about welded steel beams. How could I calculate the minimal and optimal welded steel beam height? By which formulas could I do this?
      Thanks engineers!
    • By Kendophil
      I have been working through Eurocode 3 whilst designing the steel parts of a steel composite ladder frame deck. I have been through the code and worked out the moment, shear and axial interactions and the buckling moment in 1993-1-1 and then picked up 1993-1-5 to work on the stiffener design. I have calculated the requirements for stiffener second moment of area and the axial capacity, but I am struggling to find anything that relates to stiffener spacing in the code.
      Does anybody have any experience of stiffener design to the new code? At the moment I have a panel ratio of 1.5:1 (length to height) but I have not yet found a clause that specifically related to panel ratio in webs.
      Thanks in advance
      Phil