Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Taras

EN 1991-1-3_Confusion with Fig. 5.7

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

I'm from Ukraine, our country has decided to implement the codes just a few years ago, so I need a lot of guidance learing them.

Maybe, my question can look stupid, but I can't find one of the coordinates to define the snow load shape coefficients for case 5.3.6, namely the vertical value in the right part of Fig. 5.7 (I marked the necessary dimension in red).

Thanks for any help in advance.

P.S. Maybe you know some detailed guide on EN 1991-1-3, I'd be very thankful.

Fig. 5.7.jpg

Edited by Taras

Hello.

You need to interpret that image in context with the image above it (for the case where b2<=ls) and then you'll see that the value you're looking for is u1 (mi-1). Thus, the shape coefficients go down to u1 at a distance "ls" from the wall under the higher roof.

As for references - check out "Designers’ Guide to Eurocode 1 - Actions on Buildings" and "Manual for the Design of Building Structures to Eurocode 1 and Basis of Structural Design".

Happy new year!

Thanks a lot. I also suspected, that might be u1.

Happy New Year to everyone! ^_^

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Karuba
      Hi folks!
      I noticed one sentence when reading the EC1 on snow actions:
      "The loads should be assumed to act vertically and refer to a horizontal projection of the roof area."
      My calculated snow loading is sk=0,80kN/m2.
      My roof angle is 25degrees.
      Should this quote mean that my snow loading on the roof plane is 0,80kN/m2 / cos25 degrees=1,10kN/m2?
      See picture attached

• By RonnyRaygun
      Should snow loading be applied in addition to access loads, or is the access load
      with the partial safety factor sufficient?
      Thanks,
      Craig.
    • By bramv
      Can somebody explain why in the Eurocode, the higher the difference between buildings is the less snow accumulation occurs? Shouldn't it be the other way around? The (b1+b2) formula in NEN-EN 1991-1-3?
      Kind Regards,
      Bram
    • By barster555
      Hi all,
      Did everyone see the images of the accumulated snow drift on the news over the weekend? This really emphasises the importance of EN1991-1-3 Annex B4 and the importance of treating snow drift on structures with respect.
    • By ion
      Books
      General

Designers' Guide to Eurocode 1: Actions on bridges - J-A Calgaro, M Tschumi, & H Gulvanessian.
      Designers' Guide to EN 1991-1-4 Eurocode 1: Actions on structures, general actions part 1-4. Wind actions - N. Cook.
      Manual for the design of building structures to Eurocode 1 and Basis of Structural Design - IStructE.

Fire Design

Designers' Guide to EN 1991-1-2, EN1992-1-2, EN 1993-1-2 and EN 1994-1-2 - D. Moore, C. Bailey, T. Lennon & Y. Wang.

Websites

Civiltools - EC1 Tools (An online application for the calculation of wind and snow loads according to Eurocode 1.)

Please help us expand this list by posting here!