Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Geotechnical or Geomechanical?

1 post in this topic



If we accept this definition, then Geomechanics and Geotechnics become interchangeable terms for Mining. As of now, major Mining companies by and large have adopted the term Geotechnical Engineering and the specialists practicing this discipline are referred to as (Mine) Geotechnical Engineers. 


It should be noted that the term Geotechnical Engineering is not universally accepted. In some countries/companies rock engineering specialists are referred to as Geomechanical Engineers, Rock Engineers, Strata Control Engineers and etc. 


A web search for Geomechanical Engineering jobs will lead to a major Oil and Gas operator or a reservoir engineering services provider. In the Oil and Gas Industry Geomechanics is becoming increasingly important (read more on this here). 


Rock and soil engineering specialities will continue to evolve, and, perhaps, in few years we will group them differently and under the new names!


 For More Details


  animated video

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.