ion

Notes and specifications on reinforced concrete technical drawings!

19 posts in this topic

Could you mention a list with all the necessary notes and specifications that a reinforced concrete technical drawing should always have?

eg Strength Class: C30/37 etc

I will try to update the first post of this thread whenever a new comment is posted!

Thanks in advance,

Ion

[TABLE=width: 400]

[TR]

[TD]GENERAL NOTES[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]The contractor shall check and verify all dimensions, notes and conditions on site before any construction work is started. All discrepancies shall be reported to the architect and structural engineer. Discrepancies shall be brought to the attention of the architect / structural engineer before proceeding with the work.

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CONCRETE[/TD]

[TD]e.g.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]All concrete mixes shall be in accordance with EN 206-1[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Compressive strength class[/TD]

[TD]C35/45[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Exposure class[/TD]

[TD]XS2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Maximum nominal upper aggregate size (Dmax)[/TD]

[TD]20mm[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Chloride content class[/TD]

[TD]Cl 0.20[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Density class (light/heavy-weight concrete)[/TD]

[TD]N/A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Consistence Class[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Maximum w/c[/TD]

[TD]0.45[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Minimum cement content (kg/m3)[/TD]

[TD]320[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]REINFORCEMENT[/TD]

[TD]e.g.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Grade[/TD]

[TD]B500c[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Thickness of concrete cover to reinforcement[/TD]

[TD]40mm[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I have drawing GENERAL NOTES that I use for most projects. Is there a manner that I can attach a *.txt file to a message? Else I can attach them as several messages.

Dik

Hello Dik!

Is there a manner that I can attach a *.txt file to a message?

Yes there is! Just press: Go Advanced > Attachments > Add Files.

Thanks, gentlemen... will post concrete stuff as a *.txt file...

Dik

ConcNotes121226.doc

I've renamed it a *.doc file to avoid the 19K limit for *.txt files... format should be as *.txt... We'll see if this works...

The front end of the file is a listing of the various parts of my general notes... I edit them as I need them for a project.

References are to Canadian codes and info in square brackets indicates a choice. Some notes have Imperial as well as metric info and the files are modified as they are used with a project. Feel free to use and/or modify as needed.

Dik

Edited by dik
Added Info

By the way is there any good book or publication (except for EN 206-1...) about RC specifications for ordinary structures according to Eurocodes?

Edited by mathias

By the way is there any good book or publication (except for EN 206-1...) about RC specifications for ordinary structures according to Eurocodes?

EN 1992-1-1:

1.2.2 Other reference standards

EN1997: Geotechnical design

EN 197-1: Cement: Composition, specification and conformity criteria for common

cements

EN 206-1: Concrete: Specification, performance, production and conformity

EN 12390: Testing hardened concrete

EN 10080: Steel for the reinforcement of concrete

EN 10138: Prestressing steels

EN ISO 17760: Permitted welding process for reinforcement

ENV 13670: Execution of concrete structures

EN 13791: Testing concrete

EN ISO 15630 Steel for the reinforcement and prestressing of concrete: Test methods

I always add a note that if something on the drawing is not clear the subcontractor should contact the designer (me). Not exactly a RC note, but it's very useful.

I always add a note that if something on the drawing is not clear the subcontractor should contact the designer (me). Not exactly a RC note, but it's very useful.

Thank you AAT!

I updated the first post!

I don't think you should put the W/C ratio. It is already in exposure class.

I often include W:C because of conditions. I don't rely on exposure class to cover everything. I may be looking at excessive chloride and/or sulphate exposure.

If Eurocode requirements are like North America, then it may be a bit of a compromise as not to burden all projects with the 'best' of everything.

Dik

Don't forget your cement specifications; such as CEM III 42,5 SR...

From the notes, the following information plus the earlier code reference is sufficient to stipulate the concrete required.

TYPE OF CONST CEMENT MIN F'c MAX SIZE MAX AIR

TYPE AT 28 DAYS AGG SLUMP

(MPa) (in) (in) (%)

STRIP FTGS HSb 35 1-1/2 4 0-3

CONCRETE EXPOSED TO SULPHATES SHALL BE DESIGNED FOR PROPER CLASS OF SULPHATE EXPOSURE. CLASS S-1 SHALL BE USED U/N

CLASS OF SULPHATE EXPOSURE IS [s-1 (VERY SEVERE) | S-2 (SEVERE) | S-3 (MODERATE)]

CLASS OF CHLORIDE EXPOSURE IS [C-XL | C-1 | C-2 | C-3]

CLASS OF EXPOSURE MAY DICTATE A HIGHER MIN F'C THAN TABULATED ABOVE

CONC MIX PROPORTIONS SHALL BE PROPORTIONED FOR THE CLASS OF EXPOSURE

MIN CEMENT CONTENT FOR SIDEWALKS AND PAVEMENTS SHALL BE 570 PCY

W/C RATIO SHALL BE [0.37 (C-XL) | 0.4 | 0.45 | 0.5] MAX

CONC STRENGTH FOR C-XL EXPOSURE SHALL BE 50 MPa AT 56 DAY STRENGTH

The information in the [ ] braces with the 'pipes' is edited as required. I don't know what CEM III 42,5 is unless it is similar to Type 3 cement, with a strength of 42,5 MPa... With designation in Canada, the HSb denotes a 'blended' sulphate resistant cement, the 35 is 35 MPa, the slump is 4" (100mm), max aggregate size is 1-1/2" (40mm), the entrained/entrapped air content is 0% to 3%, which accommodates entrapped air (freeze-thaw is not an issue), the Class of Chloride and Sulphate exposure is to be defined [ ], and the W:C ratio is to be defined [ ].

In Canada, the concrete mix design may be proprietary and the Concrete Code stipulates that a 'history' of the mix design be provided on request.

The formatting for the concrete information is wonky...

Dik

Edited by dik
information format clarified

...and the Concrete Code stipulates that a 'history' of the mix design be provided on request.

Oh, that's really useful! Moreover I think that this history should be provided not 'on request', but 'mandatory'!

Oh, that's really useful! Moreover I think that this history should be provided not 'on request', but 'mandatory'!

For a large or significant structure, I usually require it. Because CSA A23 (Canada Concrete Code) now treats concrete mix designs as proprietary, they require that a history of use be provided on request.

Dik

There's lots of notes you could write, don't forget a very important one that says "the contractor should check the quantities from the reinforcing schedules according to the present plan and report to the designer in case of inadvertences, otherwise the designer declines all responsibility", otherwise any mistake you make will be at your own cost.

...that says "the contractor should check the quantities from the reinforcing schedules according to the present plan....

It's not common practice in Canada or the US to do a detailed 'Material List' for reinforcing. We often undertake an approximate material take-off to a preliminary estimate... but that degree of detail may not have an impact on the project cost... only uses engineering time that could better be used elsewhere.

Dik

In the UK area, the engineering staff will usually prepare reinforcement schedules. These cover every bar and are in accordance with BS8666. They contain the bar type, size and all bending dimensions plus the total length of each bar so that the reinforcement supplier will directly use the schedules to cut and bend the bars. The schedule normally will be passed onto the supplier by the contractor. One may put notes on the drawings or in the spec. stating that the contractor must check and coordinate the schedules but that will not always get you off the hook if you have made mistakes.

Thanks, Andy... not common practice here for over 30 years...

Dik