7 posts in this topic

I'm working out the wind loads for a building and am really struggling with the Cd factor.

I work for a cold rolled manufacturer and wouldn’t need to know the natural frequency’s of the buildings as I'm designing them.

Anyone got any guidance on what value should be taken as the Cd (effects of the vibrations of the structure due to turbulence).

I have calculated the Cs so that’s not the problem.

Thank you.

Hello Philip! What is the height of your building? If it's less than 15m, cs*cd=1.00 and if it's taller you could use the EN 1991 part 1-4 Annex D figures.

Hello Philip! What is the height of your building? If it's less than 15m, cs*cd=1.00 and if it's taller you could use the EN 1991 part 1-4 Annex D figures.

Ion,

Yes I know that, I am working out what the CsCd would be on a building of greater height where the conditions do not apply therefore need to consider the reduction.

Everyone that I have found have just taken it as 1, but I feel this is not the correct way to do it.

Just seeing if anyone else has come across something.

Yes you are right... To be honest I didn't have much time to read in detail the relevant Eurocode clauses... :o

Philip, Eurocode 1 part 4 is complicated even for the simple wind load calculations... Unfortunately it won't be easy to find a straightforward answer to your question... Could you tell us some more details about the building because I have a book that might be able to help us! It would be really useful to find a solution to this problem!

It's not a certain building.... It's the spreadsheet I'm writing. I think I have it figured... I'll post my findings when I'm back at work on Monday.

No need to post new topic, so I will ask here.

I am designing a mast for telecommunication use. I should use cscd structural factor in my case. Question about antennas and other equipment on mast: should I use cscd factor calculating wind load on them?

Posted (edited)

One more question: I am not fimilar with calculation of cscd. My calculated value for 20m aluminium mast is about 1,27. Is it real? In EC graph-s cscd factor varies from 0.9 to 1.1...

Edited by Jummybear