Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Occupation
    Structural Engineer
    Expert in
    Concrete Structures

Calculation of wind loads & Eurocode 1

What do you think about the calculation of the wind loads according to Eurocode 1 (EN 1991 1-4)?
    I think that this procedure is very complicated even for a portal frame...
    BS and DIN were much easier to use!

Do you know which design software can automatically generate wind loads subjected to buildings according to Eurocodes?

Occupation
    Civil Engineer
    Expert in
    Actions on Structures
    I agree with you alberto! It is really very complicated to calculate wind loads according to Eurocodes...
    I think that one of the best design software for this purpose is Nemetschek's Scia.

You can also use this online free application!

Occupation
    Civil Engineer
    Expert in
    Concrete Structures
    I have spreadsheet solutions that implement the UK NAD methods and data. I also know that Strusoft FEM design and STRAP, to name but two FEM suites, have EC1 wind loading functionality. The latest version of Strusoft (11) allows one to define 'covers' that transmit the pressures to a frame and allow the geometric calculation to be performed but I haven't explored it in detail yet.

Occupation
    Structural Engineer
    Expert in
    Concrete Structures
    Thanks for your help guys!

Occupation
    Civil Engineer
    Expert in
    Concrete Structures
    Cook; a UK, if not international, authority on wind, gave an amusing account of some of the committee sessions when drafting the wind code. It highlights the different attitudes to regulation and practice in different parts of Europe. It seems that some nations want plenty of codified rules and data and others want practically none, with the majority forming a spectrum in between these extremes. I seem to remember he singled out the Swiss representative who expressed the view that all Swiss engineers were competent so did not need any rules! Perhaps that's a harsh interpretation but illustrative of the great difficulty of harmonising a set of standards.

Something like wind must be one of the most difficult areas. After all, concrete and steel vary little - like some wines, they 'travel well' - but wind climate must vary a great deal. The UK and western France are greatly influenced by the Atlantic depressions but further East, the predominant effects may have different origins. This explains why the UK NAD has quite a lot or material in it and makes a lot of use of the nationally determined parameters and methods.

Occupation
    Structural Engineer
    Expert in
    Concrete Structures
    I don't like the fact that a building subjected to wind loads is divided to strips and zones with different pressure coefficients.
    Because of this both FEA simulation and hand calculation are becoming more complicated!

Occupation
    Mature Student
    Expert in
    Actions on Structures

Spreadsheet for UK wind loads

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBeeton View Post
    I have spreadsheet solutions that implement the UK NAD methods and data. I also know that Strusoft FEM design and STRAP, to name but two FEM suites, have EC1 wind loading functionality. The latest version of Strusoft (11) allows one to define 'covers' that transmit the pressures to a frame and allow the geometric calculation to be performed but I haven't explored it in detail yet.
    Andy,
    Did you write the spreadsheet solution or is it available in the UK?

Bob

Administrator
    Occupation
    Structural Engineer
    Expert in
    Steel Structures
    Bob, you can find Andy's spreadsheet about wind loads according to Eurocode 1 here!

Occupation
    Civil Engineer
    Expert in
    Concrete Structures
    Yes, I wrote the spreadsheets - in fact still writing them, as they are a never-ending task as I continually try to improve and debug them. Be careful if you use them and keep an eye on the calculation - there is always room for improvement! I wrote them for my own use and I correct and improve them as I go - feel free to adapt them as you wish. They are created as individual calculations for various aspects of design in a way that they can be copied and pasted into another spreadsheet to form a coherent set of calculations. Excel works well for this.

Occupation
    Mature Student
    Expert in
    Actions on Structures

Wind Loads version of excel

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBeeton View Post
    Yes, I wrote the spreadsheets - in fact still writing them, as they are a never-ending task as I continually try to improve and debug them. Be careful if you use them and keep an eye on the calculation - there is always room for improvement! I wrote them for my own use and I correct and improve them as I go - feel free to adapt them as you wish. They are created as individual calculations for various aspects of design in a way that they can be copied and pasted into another spreadsheet to form a coherent set of calculations. Excel works well for this.
    Andy

Thanks I was not able to open it, I only have Excel 2000, will it convert?

Bob